Monday, January 21, 2008

Marvelous Darlings


I worked the door for Marvelous Darlings' release party for the "I Don't Wanna Go To the Party" Single this weekend at Rancho Relaxo. Wow, what can I say. Unfortunately, I don't have a full review, but I will say that it was a party and a half. Marvelous Darlings and Statues were unreal. Dead Letter Dept. was terrible and seemed to play forever, and Horses weren't bad. Here's the review I submitted to exclaim! this month:



With a style that sees ‘77 punk meet power pop not unlike the Exploding Hearts, Toronto’s Marvelous Darlings have produced a debut 7” so infectious it hurts. Featuring the former frontman and guitarist from No Warning and Violent Minds, I Don’t Wanna Go To The Party is the first of a few planned releases from the band in the not so distant future. Guaranteed to steal hearts and cause an influx of leather jackets and long hair at every show, “Careerist”, the B side to this hand-clappingly hooky single is just as contagious as the title track. Sure to cause involuntary foot tapping and quickly become the soundtrack to dirty dance parties everywhere, the slashing guitars and sing-along worthy choruses on I Don’t Wanna Go To The Party will have even the most unlikely of fans hooked from the start. Here’s hoping that this brilliantly simple and fun release is a good indication of what’s to come from the Marvelous Darlings.

0 comments: