Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Able Baker Fox - Voices

It's not hard to tell that I am a huge Small Brown Bike fan. I have been since I was in early high school, and so it should be obvious to assume that in light of their 2004 breakup, I was incredibly excited to learn almost randomly that previous members of Small Brown Bike had joined together with Nathan Ellis of Casket Lottery to form Able Baker Fox and released a full length LP entitled 'Voices'.



My liking of this band went through three phases:

1) Absolutely ecstatic. I loved it. It sounded like Small Brown Bike and it was new.
2) A bit confused. It wasn't quite Small Brown Bike and it almost just made me miss them more.
3) And finally, I came to terms that this wasn't Small Brown Bike. It wasn't Casket Lottery...


Able Baker Fox have a songwriting style that has dynamics which are at points vastly different than their connected projects, while still falling in the post-hardcore/emo realm of their pasts. The shining point of this project is definitely the triple vocals. With an impressive range of style, the contrasting vocals in songs like 'Stuttering' should be enough to sell anyone on ABF. Once you get over the 1-2 songs on 'Voices' that sound like 'River Bed' album rejects, it's easy to appreciate the songs that are unique and unexpected. Songs like 'Folding Pocket Blades' impress with tinges of 90s alternative, whereas 'Whispering' seems to mould the styles of both previous efforts into tamer expression of emotion with a solid hook that resonates through the albums end.

I would post MP3s for everyone but they've made it easy for us all. Stream the whole album here: www.ablebakerfox.com/voices

On a side note, I will be in Chicago this Thurs/Fri for not only Able Baker Fox but Hot Water Music, Lucero (and their respective solo side projects) as well as Milwaukee for Dillinger Four. Expect cool stuff when I return.

1 comments:

Derrick X said...

Have a good time in Chicago and hopefully everything works out for you and rick and the others at the hot water music show in regards to the tickets. Did you see any of the small brown bike reunion shows? I saw em at the fest, it was so good.