Friday, January 18, 2008

The Humanoids... Are Born

I'm 21. As much as I like to have the attitude that I listened to most bands when they were first "cool", for most of the music I listen to, I can't. I mean, c'mon, Milo Goes to College was released 4 years before I was born. Even Jersey's Best Dancers, one of my favourite (if not my all time favourite) albums came out when I had just turned 11. I will admit that I had a late pass on that one. I've seen some really great bands, but, for the most part, the genre(s) of music that I most admire, I did not experience in their prime.

Now, even with that explanation, I still feel nostalgic for those times and that music. And with that, every so often a new band surfaces that gives me hope for MY generation. With that I present you a review I just submitted for Exclaim! for the EP from St. Louis's The Humanoids. Thanks to Pete at Hits and Misses for this one.



It seems only natural that a band with a name like the Humanoids would be capable of acting as a time machine back to the days when pop punk was best served in sweaty basements with a side of fast-paced and light hearted aggression. The Humanoids Are Dead is an 8 song EP filled with classic pop-punk melody and bursts of hardcore-style energy that is sure to surprise anyone who grew up with now veteran bands like the Descendents or Dag Nasty and inspire those who may not have been so lucky. It wont be hard for this young St. Louis five-piece to prove themselves among other Midwestern gems (and obvious influences) like Dillinger Four. The only flaw in this 14 minutes of songs worth adding to your soundtrack of growing up is that they leave the listening wanting more. No word yet on whether a full-length is in the works, but one can only hope.

Visit http://www.myspace.com/thehumanoidsruleearth to stream some tracks.

0 comments: